Soups are one of my favorite ways to pack a bunch of vegetables into a dish without even noticing. In this recipe, the combination of fresh carrots, powerful spices, and creamy coconut milk comes together quickly and easily and the result is a suprisingly delicious winter soup. The addition of lentils adds a great source of plant based protein without compromising the taste.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, diced (around 4-5 large carrots)
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tsp curry powder (can add more if you like)
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once heated, add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, around 4-5 minutes. Add carrots and cook until slightly softened, around 4-5 minutes.
2. Add lentils, curry powder, and ginger. Stir and let cook until fragrant, around 1-2 minutes. Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and let cook until lentils are soft, around 10-15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and combine using either an immersion blender or regular blender. Puree until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in the coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.